One of the most beautiful parks in Madrid and also the least known is El Capricho Park. It is the only garden of Romanticism that is preserved in the capital of Spain, which was ordered to be built in 1787 by the Duchess of Osuna as a place of recreation to get away from their obligations and enjoy nature. After the death of the Duchess, its decline began, until the Madrid City Council in 1974 bought the park and began its recovery. Thanks to this action, we currently enjoy one of the most beautiful parks in the city.
Table of Contents
A walk in the park
The park has an extensive area full of corners where it is worth getting lost. It has 14 hectares of extension along which three types of gardens are configured: the French style gives it its refined character, while the Italian gives it the charm of the movement of water and the decoration based on fountains and statues.
The park has an area of 14 hectares along which 3 types of gardens extend; the French style with a refined character, the Italian style decorated with fountains and statues and the English style, which encompasses most of the park, and is characterized by being wild like nature itself.
One of the main sites of interest in the park is the XNUMXth century palace that had to be restored after the War of Independence. One of the most striking quirks is the Casa de la Vieja, a fully equipped farmhouse to which dolls representing its inhabitants were added.
The park has other corners that are worth visiting. Some of the highlights of the park are the Labyrinth, the Dancing Casino, where great parties were held, and the Templete de Baco, a space surrounded by Ionic columns.
Other of the most characteristic places in this park are the lake and the estuary due to their use of water. Throughout the tour, you can see fountains and bridges such as the Iron Bridge, built in 1830 and the Monument to the III Duke of Osuna.
Nor can we forget the Plaza of the Emperors, known thus for the busts of Roman Caesars that we find here.
The bunker of El Capricho
If the park itself is little known, its bunker in the Jaca Position is even more so. It is a unique enclave in Europe due to its current state of conservation that housed the Headquarters of the Republican Army of the Center during the Civil War. The bunker located 15 meters underground and capable of resisting bombs of up to 100 kilos was built in 1937 taking advantage of its good communications and the trees conducive to camouflage.
The General Directorate for Intervention in the Urban Landscape and Cultural Heritage of the Madrid City Council offers free 30-minute guided tours Saturdays and Sundays. From May to September at 10:00, 11:00, 12:00, 13:00, 18:00 and 19:00; In October and November at 10:00 a.m., 11:00 a.m., 12:00 p.m., 13:00 p.m., 16:00 p.m. and 17:00 p.m.
Data of interest
- Address: Paseo de la Alameda de Osuna s / n
- Metro: El Capricho (L5) Campo de las Naciones (L8)
- Bus: lines 101, 105, 151
- Hours: Winter (October to March): Saturdays, Sundays and holidays from 09:00 to 18:30. Summer (April to September): Saturdays, Sundays and holidays from 09:00 to 21:00. Closed: January 1 and December 25.