On many occasions, due to ignorance of the passenger rightsWe are so gleefully 'ripped off' in certain areas of life that we can only look stupid and accept. So that this does not happen to you, at least with regard to air travel that you do from here on, we are going to give you a brief summary of what the rights of the passenger of an airplane.
This information is fully updated, so you will not have any problem when claiming what belongs to you. Pay a lot of attention!
Table of Contents
I think we all know someone who has ever had problems with their luggage when flying. Of what type are the most frequent problems with regard to luggage? Well the breakage or loss of this.
If you have invoiced your luggage:
- The loss, deterioration or delay of checked baggage may entitle you to claim from the company a compensation up to 1.220 euros ... The amount of this compensation will vary if it was simply a delay, if it has deteriorated a lot or a little or if it has been lost. And specifically in the deterioration, if the damage is due to defects in the luggage itself (poorly closed, defective zipper, etc.) you will not be entitled to any compensation.
To make this type of claim you have 7 days to see the deterioration of the suitcase or its loss ... If, on the contrary, it was a delay, you have 21 days.
If you travel with very expensive and high-value belongings, what we recommend is that you take out private travel insurance to cover any problem of this type since in this case, the passenger's rights are quite poor to claim problems with luggage. .
Passenger rights in the sale of flight tickets online
When you are going to make a purchase of your plane ticket, all, absolutely all flight companies, must specify from the first moment the total price of the ticket, that is, fees plus non-optional surcharges included. In this way you will be able to compare real flight prices between the different search engines that are available on the internet.
And once they specify the total price, they must emphasize what each amount is due to: airfare, taxes, airport fees and other fees or surcharges, such as those related to security or fuel.
Those other special and optional supplements must also be included and indicated as possible suggestions, not as something imposed to be purchased.
In case of 'overbooking' or cancellation
If you are forbidden to fly, despite having your ticket already bought, because there are Overbooking o cancellation of flight, you will have the right to choose between the following:
- Transportation to your final destination by alternative media and comparable, such as another flight, at another time of day.
- Or, the reimbursement the amount of the ticket and also the amount of money you have spent going from your hometown to that airport.
If the plane is delayed, of at least 5 hours or more, you can have your ticket money refunded, which means that you cannot fly with that company.
Tradeoffs in this case
If the plane is delayed, you may also have food and accommodation compensation: right to refreshments, meals or phone call.
If necessary, you may also be entitled to a hotel stay, depending on the distance of the flight and the length of the delay.
Regarding financial compensation, if the flight has been canceled, has been delayed for more than 3 hours or you have been refused to fly for 'overbooking', you can receive financial compensation that would vary from 250 to 600 euros. The exact amount depends mainly on the distance of the flight:
Within the eu
- Up to 1.500 km: 250 euros.
- More than 1.500 km: 400 euros.
Between an EU airport and a non-EU airport
- Up to 1.500 km: 250 euros.
- From 1.500 to 3.500 km: 400 euros.
- More than 3.500 km: 600 euros.
You will not be entitled to any of these compensations described above if:
- The delay or cancellation is due to extraordinary circumstances, for example, bad weather,
- If the cancellation of said flight is announced to you 2 weeks before the scheduled date.
- Or if on the contrary, you were offered a flight alternative on the same route and similar schedule and you didn't want to fly.
Even if the cancellation or delay is due to extraordinary circumstances, the company with which you are traveling is obliged to offer you the possibility to choose between:
- La refund of the ticket amount (total or part not used)
- El alternative transportation to the final destination point as soon as possible.
- The possibility of delay the trip until a date that suits you (according to the availability of places).
Now that you know the passenger rights by plane, do not get trampled by any airline, ... By the way, and how last note, the plane ticket must have the same price regardless of your nationality. Do not forget!